Thursday, August 29, 2013

A Glance into the (un)Interesting Life of Emily


Hi! My name is Emily and I am in Mr. McCarthy's seventh period English class. I am a sophomore at Whitney Young. There isn’t anything super special about me, but hopefully through this blog, you’ll get to know me a little bit better.
The first thing you should know is that I am not originally from Chicago, or anywhere in the United States. I was adopted from China on August 25, 1999 when I was sixteen months old. I was born in Nanning, China on around April 23, 1998 (my exact birthday is unknown). A nice person found me abandoned near the river and brought me to the police station, and from there I was transferred into an orphanage, where I lived for about seven months and unknowingly met some of my lifelong friends. After my orphanage stay, I was lucky enough to be put into a foster home where I remained until I was adopted nine months later.
I am an only child, besides my dog Jing Jing and bird Hedwig (like from Harry Potter). My mom is Mexican and my dad is Polish, so my family contains an interesting mix of cultures. I am in no way an athletic or artistic person. All attempts at sports and drawing have failed. I am obsessed with the Harry Potter series, lime green, anything coconut flavored, and I listen to The Beatles (they’re my favorite). My favorite animals are pandas and sea turtles. Being an only child can be lonely and sometimes a little boring, but I am blessed with amazing friends.